CP&A directed the historic rehabilitation of this 2-story former Santa Fe Railroad Depot, originally built in 1888. A National Register of Historic Places property, the building received funding from the Federal Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) and the Franklin County Historical Society (FCHS) raised the remaining 20% local funding. Kansas Department of Transportation (KDOT) personnel administered the ISTEA grant and compliance with the Secretary of Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation was required.
The exterior work included stone walls restoration and mortar repointing; standing seam terne metal roof replacement; porch roof framing repairs and new membrane; existing metal cornice repairs; existing wood window repairs and new fixed storm windows; new ADA-compliant parking.
Interior rehabilitation and adaptive reuse work included integratation new HVAC systems and equipment: new electrical service, outlets and lighting; new fire exit stair for the second floor; new ADA-compliant restrooms; plaster wall repairs; new elevator connecting the first and second floors.
2000 Medallion Award for Excellence in Rehabilitation
Kansas Preservation Alliance