This distinguished stone building was built in 1894 as a residence for General John N. Roberts and his family. In 1947, Libuse (Libby) Kriz purchased the property and established the "The Castle Tea Room" as a special event community venue, remaining so until her death in 2004. Working with the board of directors of Libby's non-profit foundation, CP&Associates directed a major rehabilitation project to continue the Castle as a significant community landmark for the next century while preserving its illustrious past.
To receive Kansas State historic tax credits and because of its listing on the National Register of Historic Places, the work complied with the Secretary of the Interior's Standards for Rehabilitation. Site improvements included new sidewalks; accessible parking; a wheelchair lift to the 1st floor; large patio for outdoor events; sculptural tiered fountain with pool; walkway, patio and building lighting; landscaping and irrigation system. The exterior stone was cleaned and the foundation walls below grade were waterproofed.
The interior improvements included a new mechanical system with ground-source heat pumps; new plumbing fixtures and piping; new electrical service and devices; new fire alarm and sprinkler systems; new wall and ceiling finishes including historic wallpapers; refinished woodwork and wood floors; historic lighting with new remote controls and scene setting capability; new elevator connecting the basement, 1st and 2nd floors; new accessible restrooms and a serving Kitchen.
The rehabilitation is a lasting legacy to Libby's stewardship of the Castle property and her life-long commitment to the Lawrence community.
2009 Medallion Award for Excellence in Rehabilitation
Kansas Preservation Alliance
2009 Edwin Guth Memorial Award for Interior Lighting Design
Heart of America IES Section
2009 Preservation Award
Lawrence Preservation Alliance