These two museum sites had multiple buildings in each location; eight (8) in Ellsworth and four (8) in Kanopolis. Some of the buildings were in their original locations and others had been moved from endangered locations within the county to their current locations as part of a historical museum complex. The Hodgden House was built in 1878 and the Fort Harker Guardhouse dates to 1867.
The Conservation Assessment Program ( CAP ) is a federally funded grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services that is administrated by Heritage Preservation. CAP funds a general conservation survey of a museum's buildings, collections, environmental systems and property. Two professional assessors visit each institution; an architectural assessor and a collections or objects assessor.
The assessors spend two days on-site gathering information, touring the museum and its collections and interviewing the staff. Within eight weeks, each assessor transmits a rough draft of their report to the museum for review and comments. The assessors then finalize the reports and issue two copies, one to the museum and one to Heritage Preservation.
The reports provide the following information for each museum:
1. Executive summary including an overview history and background, and a list of recommendations with short-term, medium-term and long-term priorities.
2. Brief description of existing conditions and observations, evaluation and recommendations for the following:
· Site and property
· Building exterior and interior
· Photographic survey with comments
· Drawing(s) of site or building floor plan(s)
CP&Associates has two certified architectural assessors, who have completed a total of eleven (11) CAP reports.